Art in First Grade
The elements of art and principles of design are reinforced throughout the year as students explore and engage with a variety of media and techniques. Students will be introduced to a selection of artists and art historical movements in conjunction with their projects.
- Practice cutting, gluing, folding, and using overlapping placement of objects to achieve the illusion of three-dimensional space.
- Explore color families and begin to integrate basic color theory in their artwork.
- Engage with imaginative use of color in an expressionistic composition.
- Develop their painting skills as they learn correct watercolor, tempera, and acrylic technique.
- Understand the concept of positive and negative space.
- Understand and practice with three-dimensions in various media, including clay and paper.
- Find inspiration for their own work in a multiple of artistic techniques and through exposure to a variety of artists and art historical movements.