Mathematics in First Grade
Students focus on building fluency with addition and subtraction, extending understanding of the base ten number system, using standard units of linear measurement, and describing and analyzing shapes by their attributes.
- Apply the addition and subtraction strategies for various problems to develop fluency with understanding.
- Count by 5’s, 10’s, 100’s and their multiples appropriately to solve problems with larger numbers.
- Model, solve, and pose a variety of story problems to construct meaning for the operations of addition and subtraction.
- Estimate and measure in inches, feet, yards, centimeters, and meters.
- Solve problems involving the combining or comparing of length.
- Investigate, describe, build, draw, combine, decompose 2-D and 3-D shapes.