Science in First Grade
Integrated Physical, Life, Earth & Space Science Exploration
First Grade students explore introductory concepts of waves, space systems, earth systems (including the water cycle, formation of land masses, and plate tectonics), and space systems (including patterns and cycles). Also incorporating rudimentary experimentation and data recording practices and engineering design practices (using tools and materials to design and build a solution to a problem), students learn about and play with these concepts to better understand the functioning of the world around them and apply their understandings in real-world experimentation. Students begin to utilize the appropriate tools and techniques to engage in the scientific inquiry process.
Students will gain understanding of the subjects through the following units:
Waves: Light and Sound
- Understand and create visual representations of the properties of sound waves.
- Understand the basic elements of electromagnetic radiation and practice hands-on exploration of the topic through introductory lab work.
- Develop a model of waves to describe patterns in terms of amplitude and wavelength and that waves can cause objects to move.
- Develop a model to describe that light reflecting from objects and entering the eye allows objects to be seen.
- Generate and compare multiple solutions that use patterns to transfer information.
Space Systems: Patterns and Cycles
- Model the universe and its stars and use rhetorical strategies, including written, visual and oral presentations to portray the patterns of the motion of the sun, moon, and stars in the sky that can be observed, described, and predicted.
- Create visual representations to understand the varying sizes of the systems through computational analysis Earth and the Solar System.
- Observe, describe, and predict seasonal patterns of sunrise and sunset.
- Understand the history of the planet, plate tectonics, and the roles of water on Earth’s surface
Structure and Properties of Matter
- Understand and explore different kinds of matter including solids and liquids.
- Understand the concepts of the effects of heating or cooling a substance through lab experimentation.
Weather and Climate
- Represent data in tables and graphical displays to describe typical weather conditions expected during a particular season.
- Obtain and combine information to describe climates in different regions of the world.
- Make a claim about the merit of a design solution that reduces the impacts of a weather-related hazard.