Art in Kindergarten
Students are introduced to developing their aesthetic awareness during their first year in the art room. They interpret images from artists’ works to recognize the ways different artists use the elements of art and principles of design. They are introduced to a variety of art tools and media.
- Understand the elements of art and principles of design to build foundational skills.
- Build the kinesthetic skills toward introductory cutting, pasting, folding, and accurately tearing paper for the correct placement of objects.
- Practice basic painting skills.
- Experience basic clay skills including forming clay into shapes, modeling, and ceramic painting.
- Understand color families.
- Understand the fundamentals of tints and shades.
- Practice basic drawing skills.
- Understand art genres of landscape, still life, portrait, and non-objective.
- Understanding multiple artistic techniques through exposure to a variety of artists and styles.