Art in Room 4
The elements of art and principles of design are reinforced throughout the year through students exploring and engaging with a variety of projects steadily working toward mastery. A variety of new techniques are also introduced. Various artists and time periods continue to be explored in connection with projects.
- Practice with weaving techniques through production of a woven vessel.
- Understand art elements by producing a mixed media expressionist composition using watercolor and colored pencil.
- Draw complex objects from life.
- Produce the illusion of three dimensions in compositions by overlapping drawn objects, tinting for atmospheric perspective, and proper use of previously taught shading techniques through painting.
- Create optical illusions on paper.
- Produce compositions with one or two point perspective.
- Understand three-point perspective.
- Master techniques of color blending, understanding the strengths of primary, secondary, and intermediate colors, tints and shades, warm versus cool colors, as well as their mutations and varieties.
- Understand elements of art and principles of design by studying Impressionist, Post-Impressionist, and Expressionist artists and periods.
- Apply their knowledge of abstract and realistic works to the production of artworks that communicate their personal moods.