Art in Second Grade
The elements of art and principles of design are reinforced throughout the year as students explore and engage with a variety of media and techniques. Students will be introduced to a selection of artists and art historical movements in conjunction with their projects.
- Apply concepts of foreground, middle-ground, and background to produce landscape compositions both in drawing and painting.
- Develop their painting skills by applying previously and newly learned watercolor techniques.
- Apply shading techniques to create the illusion of volume.
- Enhance their drawing skills through “point of view” understanding and application.
- Apply the use of one and two point perspective to draw a tangible object.
- Understand and apply three-dimensional understanding through introduction to three-dimensional models, architectural representations, and clay pots.
- Continue to explore bilateral and radial symmetry through artistic lettering and embossing.
- Practice weaving skills through the study of weaving techniques.