Mandarin in Second Grade
In Second Grade Mandarin, students will start developing language skills in four parts: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Students will learn vocabulary on topics such as greetings, numbers, families, hobbies, body, holidays and etc. Students will continue to explore reading and writing Chinese characters, and develop the literal and writing skills.
During the class, the teacher will provide various comprehensible inputs and use many different kinds of teaching methods to help students engage in class, such as Total Physical Response (TPR) and Teaching Proficiency through Reading and Storytelling (TPRS).
This course will also use various resources as references — such as My First Chinese Words, My Fun Chinese and I Love Chinese, Wukong Hanzi — to help students explore the Mandarin language and Chinese culture.
In addition, the curriculum for this course brings our students into a fun, low-stress environment in which they play games, create arts and crafts, sing songs, and enjoy Chinese culture from many perspectives.
Students will be able to:
- Repeat words and read a few basic characters.
- Comprehend a limited number of highly predicted vocabulary and commonly used expressions.
- Understand and produce high frequency words and phrases.
- Use a variety of words and phrases that have been encountered, memorized, and recalled.
- Read and write some basic characters