English in Upper School 1
- Read fluently, and with good understanding, a wide range of texts from across place and time, including literature and literary non-fiction as well as other writing such as reviews and journalism.
- Read in depth, critically and evaluatively and make comparisons between texts.
- Show understanding of the relationships between texts and the contexts in which they were written.
- Summarize and synthesize information or ideas from texts.
- Use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve their own writing.
- Write effectively and coherently using Standard English appropriately.
- Use grammar correctly and punctuate and spell accurately.
- Acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of grammatical terminology, and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language.
- Listen to and understand spoken language and use spoken Standard English effectively.
- Cultivate the habit of reading widely and often for pleasure.