Photography and Graphic Design (Art IV)
The elements of art and principles of design are reinforced throughout the year through students exploring and engaging with a variety of photography and graphic design projects working toward mastery on an individual basis. Various new photographic and graphic design techniques are introduced. Various artists and time periods continue to be explored in connection with projects. There continues to be an emphasis on understanding art as a reflection of society and a form of communication. Students develop critical thinking skills in planning the design and creation of their photographic and graphic design artworks. Students use the computer to create artwork related to photography and graphic design.
In particular, students will:
- Apply works of art to Photoshop utilizing a variety of approaches and techniques.
- Understand art through a historical context appreciating the multiple historical contexts and perspectives affecting the art of an era related to photography and graphic design.
- Interpret artworks of others and themselves on the basis of description, analysis, and personal experience.
- Identify subjects, themes, and symbols in works of art towards understanding of an artwork’s meaning.
- Operate a digital camera, download images, and manipulate these images with Photoshop.